MICROBIOLOGY and BIOTECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
To provide in-depth technical skills to involve the students in research to identify remedy for environmental, agricultural, industrial and health issue for the betterment of the society
To lay the framework based on societal implications with good hands on experience to achieve the objectives of learning by doing and assisting the students for fine tuning of the knowledge gained to promote the industrial, agricultural, environmental and medicinal developments and its applications to our nation.
- The Department of Microbiology was established in the year 2005 and started to offer UG Programme (B.Sc., microbiology) with 36 students and PG programme (M.Sc., Biotechnology) in 2009
- The department offer Certificate Course in Biofertilizer Production to enhance knowledge on the organic farming & biofertilizer for the students of our department as well as various discipline.
- Department conduct mioteckz every year for the student to show their talents on various activities.
- The students of microbiology department involved in CSS activites (Microbiological Quality Control, create awareness to school students and bluecollar workers) every year.
- Microbiologist-Demand-both Medical and Non-Medical related field of study and work
- Option of pursuing higher for specialization
- Seek employment in pathology Laboratories, Pharmaceutical industries, Biotech Industries, Beverage Industries, Research areas, Agriculture, Horticulture and Dairy Farming etc.
- Generates Self Employment- Private Microbiology Labs-after Post Graduation
- Understand the core scientific issues in Biotechnology
- Explain the regulatory affairs process for bringing biotech product to market
- Teaching subjects through Videos, using chats and pictures
- Incubation cell is helping the students’ volunteers to fortify their technical skills
||Ms. H. Noorul Samsoon Maharifa
||M. Sc.,M Phil
||Co-Ordinator and HOD I/C
||M. Sc., M.Phil.,(Ph D)
||Ms. A. Kathija Banu
||Ms. M.Subaitha Banu
||Associate Professor and Head (i/c),Department of Microbiology,Science Campus,Alagappa University,Karaikudi-630003,Tamilnadu,India.
- Modern Microbiology and Biotechnology lab facility
- Experienced competent teachers to teach subject with the help of modern technology
- Library with good collection of books and journals
- Spacious class rooms with proper ventilation and electricity facility
- Leased line internet facility to help the students to study recent advances in Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Free remedial classes for slow learners
- Recent trend theory papers with their corresponding practical papers
- Provision to do project in Applied Microbiology, Microbial Biotechnology, Microbial Biochemistry etc which will enable them to enhance their research aptitude and help them in their placement and higher studies
- Placement opportunities in Food Industry, Biotechnological Industry and Hospitals chances for the eligible students to get placement through campus interviews
- Guest lecture by subject specialist is been delivered to the students in each semester.
- Students are taken to various university labs for gaining knowledge.
- Training in latest biotechnology techniques are given to the students through industrial visits.
- Students are placed at various Multi-speciality hospitals for a month Internship Training for DMLT
- The department of Microbiology and Biotechnology has a well equipped laboratory with culture room, inoculation chambers for carrying out all the basic Microbiological and Biotechnological techniques relevant to the field of Medicine, Industry, Food and Agriculture.
- A well equipped tissue culture laboratory has been established.
The lab is equipped with
- Simple Microscopes
- Light Microscope
- Binocular Microscope
- Stereo Zoom Microscope
- Trinocular Research Compound Microscope
- Laminar flow chamber
- Colony Counter
- High Speed Refrigerated Centrifuge
- Table top cetrifuge
- Vertical deep freezer
- Digital PH meters
- Digital Colorimeter
- Eppendorf Micropipettes
- Incubator Digital Temperature Control (Bacteriologicalincubator)
- Electronic Balances
- Electrophoresis apparatus
- Water Bath
- ELIZA Reader
- Gel Documentation Unit
- UV Transilluminator
- Environmental Refrigerator Shaker
- Shaker Cum Incubator
This is an association of the department of Microbiology and Biotechnology and all the students of this department are the members of this club. All the UG & PG students are joined together in organizing various activities of the club.
MIOTEKZ Association Activity 2016-2017
MIOTEKZ Association Activity 2015-2016
Click here to view Department Activity 2016-2017
Click here to view Department Activity 2015-2016
Click here to view Department Activity 2014-2015
Click here to view Department Activity 2013-2014
Department had signed MOU with B.S.Abdur Rahman University,Chennai to encourage the students and faculty member to involve in research activity.
- Strengthen the Research Activity
- Encourage students and Faculty members to publish research papers
- To organize International Seminar